Saturday, November 28, 2015

1Q84

I wanted to talk about another book by Haruki Murakami (1Q84) because I feel like it is a good example of the synergism of multiple genres into something new. It's a 1980's period piece with science-fiction and with religious/supernatural undertones and it's also mystery novel. I think this is where I find my interest. In works that transcend genre and become something altogether new entirely. Essentially, the novel is about two different narrators finding each other. Oh and they're also stuck in an alternate timeline where certain events occurred that had never actually happened in their "real" timeline and they both become suspects in a murder case. I think for me, the real reason this novel stuck out with me is the seemingly simplistic world we find ourselves in. It really is just 1984 in Japan but there are a few inconsistencies and run ins with the supernatural. Also the intrigue and sexiness of having a hit woman as a protagonist captivated me. I think the brilliance of Murakami is in his insight into the seemingly dull and ordinary. I think the most prime example is the explanation of our two main characters love interest. The fact that they love each other across different timelines all because they touched hands once in elementary school is an interesting insight into the ability to attract and be attracted to other human beings through the most fickle of moments. Of course this is stretched thinner and thinner by the use of science-fiction as a backdrop for this love story. But I feel in the world of genre, things are always meant to be more exciting, more captivating, and writers tend to look over the micro-micro of human interaction. Murakami handles the mystique of genre fiction with the care of someone writing about deeper personal relationships and that's why his work stands out as strong to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment