Monday, November 9, 2015

Lilith's Brood

At first, I was incredibly confused on the nature of this week's title/ category for reading. I didn't know what you meant about non majority science fiction. I think for me, it's hard to establish that as another genre separate from science fiction altogether but I do see the importance of putting someone other than a white male(or woman I suppose) out amongst the stars. I think for me though, the implications of race run deep in this book; the inter marrying of species, oppression from one race to another etc. It's almost as if this book is about American slavery but instead of white Americans it's aliens, and instead of black Africans, it's human beings in general. I think the potency of this fiction is from drawing comparisons to our own history. Using genre's like scifi to underline an important part of history ( and to be frank, an important part of life as we know it today) is a very clever thing to do. I feel other works in the genre such as Attack the Block also touch on issues of race (gentrification in this case). I think these works are incredibly important and make scifi accessible to a wider range of individuals, but I don't know if I make the discernment that they are another genre altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment