Saturday, November 28, 2015

We're All Bozos on This Bus

Well, this is quite different from our normal reading experience in class but I rather enjoyed it. We're All Bozos on This Bus was a mixture of parody and pure terror. The plot is essentially a man that hears an advert for a "fair of tomorrow" ( A fair showcasing technology) and the man (Clem) decides he'll go to the fair as a form of amusement. There are some interesting interactions between Clem and another character Barney that can only be described as comedic but beyond that Clem is interacting with these holograms and computers at this future fair. He has curious questions for both of them and is essentially trying to dishevel the technology at the fair by asking the computer peculiar questions. There's a whole bunch of satire based on Americana and a lot of irony throughout the piece but to me that's not what makes this particular audio experience stand out. For me, it was the experience itself. It felt fully developed as if it were really utilizing the medium of audio theatre. Not just some reading of a story but an immersive tale in which I was talking part as a viewer and that's what really held me as a listener. I'm starting a list of science fiction tapes./records to check out because of this particular installment of Firesign theatre because it felt. . . well it felt just like a theatre experience. It was so different and so immersive that I don't know if I've ever experience anything like it before and that was remarkable. Genre and humor aside that's why this piece stood out to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment